top of page
I think my friend has been sexually assaulted

I think my friend has been sexually assaulted

SKU: 9.62
  • Advice

    You can report an assault on behalf of someone you know. Dial 999 if the incident has just taken place, the person has suffered serious injuries or if they are is in immediate danger. Alternatively, please call 101 for a non-emergency or The Havens, a rape and sexual assault crisis centre on 020 3299 6900.


    The overall definition of sexual or indecent assault is an act of physical, psychological and emotional violation in the form of a sexual act, inflicted on someone without their consent. It can also involve forcing or manipulating someone to witness or participate in any sexual acts. Sometimes it can be hard to make sense of the situation; as such the definitions below may help.



    Rape is when a person intentionally penetrates another's vagina, anus or mouth with a penis, without the other person's consent. The consent element is important, it does not matter if the person is a stranger, relative, partner, husband, wife etc.


    Assault by penetration

    This is when a person penetrates another person's vagina or anus with any part of the body other than a penis, or by using an object, without the person's consent. The sentences for this offence as the same as those for rape.


    Sexual assault

    Sexual assault can involve forcing someone to witness or participate in sexual activity. Sexual assault can be purely psychological and doesn't have to involve other physical violence or physical harm.


    What is consent?

    Put simply is when both people agree to what's happening by choice and have the freedom and ability to make that choice.


    Protecting your mental and physical health

    The trauma of being raped or sexually assaulted can be shattering, and leave you feeling alone. However, it is important to remember that what you are experiencing is completely normal and you should take your time to feel safe and ensure trust in people. We strongly suggest that you speak with your GP or Victim Support ( is an independent charity that helps people affected by crime and traumatic events. They are not part of the police or any other criminal justice agency.



    You can claim damages (compensation) in one of three ways: -

    1 - Direct from the attacker

    This is preferable as it gives a direct punishment for the crime, you have 3 years to bring a financial claim.

    • There is no upper limit of the sum the court could allow;
    • You can claim a loss of income (CICA has a 28-week window); and
    • the courts prefer his approach as there is no cost to the public purse and is at the direct detriment of your attacker.

    2 - Under the Criminal Injury Compensation Authority (CICA)

    When claiming from the CICA, the funds would be coming from the public purse, meaning there would be no direct loss to the attacker’s assets. You must also submit your application to CICA within 2 years to bring a claim. You can only claim if you are incapable of working for more than 28 weeks before you can make a claim.

    3 - From an employer

    If the offence occurred at work, then we may be able to claim off the employer’s insurance, whilst this means that there is little damage to your attacker personally insurance companies have far deeper pockets than individuals.


    How we can help

    If appointed we would appoint a medical professional to evaluate their situation, their report will detail any injuries and the general prognosis. The expert’s report will form the basis of any claim and their caseworker will discuss their findings with them. If the attacker can be proven we would seek to work with the police to prevent duplication of reports etc. The police will look at the criminal aspect whilst we would look at the civil side. In effect this means claiming for damages (compensation), obviously this is far easier if they have been found guilty. As part of the compensation claim we would also include specialist costs so that your friend can receive face to face help from our appointed counsellors, physiotherapists etc.


    If your accuser is found to be guilty, we would immediately ask the court to freeze any assets and bank accounts to ensure that these could not be diminished in their worth. Our next stage would be to file a claim for damages (financial compensation). If we could attribute the assault to while the attacker was at work (such as an assault whilst in a care home, hospital, school) etc then we would also consider claiming under their insurance.


    To gain our assistance you need to open a case, this is done by taking advantage of our free consultation service, activated by the link at the top of the page, should you wish to start a case the caseworker will send you the suitable payment link.


    Please note your caseworker can only give generic advice, their role is to prepare your details for handling by our legal team and to act as your point of contact, they will also issue you with your Password and PIN, these will be needed to log onto your client dashboard. From your dashboard you will be able to manage and view every aspect of your case, upload documents, images, files etc.

Click hear to book your

free initial consultation:

bottom of page