top of page
Supervision Order

Supervision Order

SKU: 10.25
  • Advice

    What is a supervision order?

    Simply put, a supervision order puts a child under the supervision of the local authority for some time. Supervision orders are granted where a child remains in their parent’s or guardians care or is placed into the care of extended family. 


    Purpose of a supervision order 

    The local authority may apply for a supervision order if there are concerns that a child may be suffering or is likely to suffer significant harm. The harm can be due to there being an unsatisfactory standard of care provided by the parents, or when the child is beyond parental control. There must be sufficient evidence to be able to get a supervision order.


    Duration of a supervision order

    A final supervision order can be made for a duration of up to one year. After one year, the supervision order automatically expires. A supervision order is made concerning a child; therefore, the order expires when the child turns 18. When a supervision order is in force, an application to discharge, extend or vary the order can be made. 



    A case management hearing will be held no later than 12 days after the date the papers were sent to the parents of the child concerned. If future hearings are required the parents will be informed once the dates have been confirmed. As a parent, you have a right to express your views to the court on whether the order should be granted. 



    Although it is possible to appeal against a supervision order, it is very rare to do so. If you would like to appeal a supervision order then you would need to get specialist advice, we’re happy to help with this here at Lestons.


    How we can help

    The process of obtaining a supervisory order can be difficult for all involved, the governance of the children can be a serious sticking point as the parent may well resent the implication that they are failing to look after their child. We would ask both sides to meet with a third-party independent family advisor to begin Advanced Dispute Resolution (ADR). The advisor will work with all parties and decide what is best for the children.


    Please note the driver in this will be the children themselves, they will be asked privately what solution they would like. It is then hoped that each adult will agree to their wishes. As in every negotiation there needs to be some give and take. Ultimately if there is an impasse then the court will decide. In regard to the third-party independent family advisor please note we make no commission from these referrals.


    To gain our assistance you need to open a case, this is done by taking advantage of our free consultation service, activated by the link at the top of the page, should you wish to start a case the caseworker will send you the suitable payment link. Please note your caseworker can only give generic advice, their role is to prepare your details for handling by our appointed financial advisor and to act as your point of contact, they will also issue you with your Password and PIN, these will be needed to log onto your client dashboard. From your dashboard you will be able to manage and view every aspect of your case, upload documents, images, files etc.

Click hear to book your

free initial consultation:

bottom of page