top of page
Impact of Brexit on UK citizens

Impact of Brexit on UK citizens

SKU: 6.43
  • Advice

    The UK’s decision to leave the European Union (known more commonly as Brexit) has produced new rules regarding travel within Europe. European freedom of movement has ended so EU citizens must now meet the requirements of the new immigration system to enter the UK. If you are an EU, (EEA or Swiss) citizen living in the UK before 31 December 2020, you are protected under UK immigration law and must apply to the EU settlement scheme to continue living here. This must be done before 30 June 2021 and failure to do so means any future residence in the UK could be unlawful. You can also apply if you are not an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, but your family member is.


    Upon success, you will receive settled status, if you have lived in the UK for a continuous period of 5 years, or pre-settled status if you have not, pre-settled status means you must stay in the UK for an additional 5 years before you are entitled to apply for settled status. Settled status means you can stay in the UK indefinitely and can apply for British citizenship if you are eligible. Both statuses, however, provide you with the right to use the NHS for free, access public funds, enrol in education/study and work in the UK, and travel in and out of the UK.


    If you arrived in the UK after 31 December 2020, you may need to apply for a visa.

    If you are making a short trip to the UK as a tourist, you do not need a visa - provided your stay is no longer than 90 days within any 180 days. However, if you are staying for longer or are entering for work or study, you may need a visa or permit. To understand exactly how this impacts you, you can use the Brexit Checker: an interactive tool from the government that will provide you with advice on the new rules, personal to you and your circumstances. You do not need to apply to the EU settlement scheme if you are an EU citizen or family member with (valid) indefinite leave to remain or indefinite leave to enter, but you may do so if you wish. You cannot apply if you already have British citizenship.


    How we can help

    If you are seeking a visa and do not pose a flight risk then the Home Office should allow you to remain in your existing home, your caseworker would liaise between yourself and the Home Office to compile and manage all the required paperwork. To gain our assistance you need to open a case, this is done by taking advantage of our free consultation service, activated by the link at the top of the page, should you wish to start a case the caseworker will send you the suitable payment link.


    Please note your caseworker can only give generic advice, their role is to prepare your details for handling by our legal team and to act as your point of contact, they will also issue you with your Password and PIN, these will be needed to log onto your client dashboard. From your dashboard you will be able to manage and view every aspect of your case, upload documents, images, files etc.

Click hear to book your

free initial consultation:

bottom of page