top of page


SKU: 2.6
  • Advice

    You can claim child benefit if you are responsible for raising a child (a child is defined as someone under the age of 16 or under 20 in approved education or training). Only one person can claim child benefits for a child. There is no limit on the number of children you can claim for. Claiming child benefit creates automatic benefits, namely your National Insurance credits which count towards State Pensions. In addition, your child will automatically get a National Insurance number at age 16. If you or your Partner earn an annual salary of over £50,000, then you may have to pay back some of your Child Benefit in taxes.

    Current Rates (Feb 2021)

    Who the allowance is for? Weekly Rate
    Eldest/only child £21.05
    Any other children £13.95 per child

    You can contact the Child Benefit Office if you're paid too much or too little or if your circumstances change. The total amount of benefits you get may be impacted by the benefit cap. 


    How and when Child Benefit is paid

    It is paid every four weeks on a Monday or Tuesday. The money can be paid into an account (excluding a Nationwide Cash builder account). 


    Child Benefit and your State Pension 

    If your child is under 12 and you're unemployed or don't earn enough to pay National Insurance contributions you can receive National Insurance credits through Child Benefit. These credits may count towards your State Pension.


    The family splits or joins.

    If you both share custody of the same child, only one parent can claim Child Benefit on their behalf, however, there are separate rules for families who split apart or families that join together.


    Moving to or away from the UK

    You may be able to get child benefits if you live in certain countries or if you're a Crown servant. You may also be able to get it if you have moved to the UK and you have a 'right to reside'. If your child's birth was registered outside the UK you will need to apply for a new birth certificate, passport and travel documentation to enter the UK. If you have lost the original birth certificate, you can order a replacement. For further information, see the official government page on the right to reside.

Click hear to book your

free initial consultation:

bottom of page